TREND XR 500MG contains Divalproex sodium which belongs to a class of drugs called anti-epileptics. It is a stable coordination compound comprised of sodium valproate and valproic acid used to treat manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder, epilepsy, and migraine headaches. It is used to treat manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder alone or with other medicines to treat complex partial seizures in adults and children above 10 years of age, simple and complex absence seizures and prevents migraine headaches.
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has directed you. Do not stop or change your dose of this medicine without talking to your doctor. Before using it, tell your doctor if you have or had heart problems, kidney or liver disease, difficulty urinating, depression, or suicidal thoughts. Many other medicines can interfere with it and some should not be taken together so tell your doctor all the medicines you are taking to make sure it is safe.
USES OF TREND XR 500MG
- Complex partial seizures in adults and children above 10 years of age
- Simple and complex absence seizures, with or without other seizure types
- Prevent migraine headache
HOW TREND XR 500MG WORKS
TREND XR 500MG is an antiepileptic medication which controls seizures or fits by decreasing the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has directed you. Do not stop or change your dose of this medicine without talking to your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it.
SIDE EFFECTS OF TREND XR 500MG
- Red or purple spots on your skin, bruising, bleeding from your mouth, teeth or nose (low blood count)
- Feeling tired and changes in mental status
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Fever, skin rash, hives, sores in your mouth, blistering and peeling of your skin, swelling of your lymph nodes, swelling of your face, eyes, lips, tongue, or throat, trouble swallowing or breathing.
- Drowsiness or sleepiness (elderly)
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Blurry vision and double vision
- Increased appetite, loss of appetite
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
- Problems with walking or coordination
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Feeling sick (nausea) or indigestion:
Stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy foods.
Drowsiness or dizziness:
Get up and move around to feel awake, take small naps to edge off the sleepiness. Give your eyes a break to avoid fatigue and eat a healthy food to boost energy.
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. ORS should be used to prevent dehydration.
Place a warm bottle or heated bag on your abdomen. Soak in a warm bath. Drink plenty of clear fluids and water.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
TREND XR 500MG should be used with caution in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
TREND XR 500MG should be used with caution in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
TREND XR 500MG may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive or handle any machines while taking this medicine.
Drinking alcohol should be avoided as it can increase some of the side effects and can also increase your risk of seizures.
Do not take if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to divalproex sodium, valproic acid, sodium valproate or any other ingredients in this medicine.
Tell your doctor if you have or had a condition such as,
- Genetic problem caused by a mitochondrial disorder (e.g. Alpers-Huttenlochersyndrome)
- Depression, mood problems, suicidal thoughts or behavior changes
- Any other medical conditions
Talk to your doctor, if you are taking,
- Anti-psychotic drugs
- Warfarin (used to treat blood clot)
- Oral contraceptives