How does Filitra Work
Erectile dysfunction is a common condition affecting men of all ages wherein they are not able to get a penile erection and when they get it, are not able to maintain it to enjoy sexual activity. The active ingredient in Filitra, Vardenafil, is a PDE5 (phosphodiesterase 5) inhibitor. It works to counteract the action of the phosphodiesterase enzyme which widens the blood vessels and facilitates the flow of blood into the penis. The increased flow of blood aids in getting an erection and helps sustain it.
- Under normal circumstances, nitric oxide is discharged into the penile tissue upon sexual stimulation.
- Nitric oxide is responsible for the generation of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) that supervises the dilation & contractor of blood-carrying vessels to control the blood flow into the penis and supports the attainment of an erection.
- As a part of the natural feedback mechanism, an enzyme called Phosphodiesterase type 5 hinders the activity of cGMP to deter the erection.
- Vardenafil restricts the PDE 5 enzyme’s action on cGMP to extend the duration of the erection.
Uses of Filitra
Apart from being an effective treatment medication for Erectile Dysfunction, Filitra tablets are also prescribed for the following conditions:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia – a condition where the prostate gland enlarges resulting in difficulties urinating.
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension – a disorder of pulmonary arteries that causes elevated blood pressure in them.
It is crucial to follow the doctor’s instructions to get positive results. For ED, the pill should be taken 30-60 minutes prior to the planned activity. For BPH & PAH, one tablet is usually advised to be consumed every day around the same time.
- The tablet should be consumed whole orally with a glass of water. It is advised not to crush, break, or chew the pill.
- The tablet should be taken with food.
- No more than one tablet should be consumed within 24 hours.
- The chances of missing a dose are low as the medication is administered as and when required.
- If you miss a dose when advised for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia & Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, take it as soon as you remember. However, if the scheduled time for your next dose is close you should skip the dose and then continue with your regular schedule.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage, one tablet per day, to avoid experiencing adverse health impacts.
Sticking to the recommended dosage is important as overdosing may seriously impair your health. If you feel palpitations, breathing difficulties, loss of consciousness, and vision abnormalities, seek medical attention immediately. This is not an exhaustive list of symptoms, in case you feel anything that seems concerning, consult your doctor for further assessment.
Certain medical conditions may interfere with the working of Filitra and may reduce its efficacy or intensify the side effects. Therefore, if you suffer from any medical ailment it is advised to review the safety of its use with your doctor before using them. Filitra pills should be used with caution in the following cases,
- Present or previous cardiovascular disorders – heart attack, stroke.
- Any kidney or liver disorder, including cancers – whether present or a medical history.
- Problems with the flow of blood to the eye tissue.
- Any physical deformity of the penis.
- Sickle cell anemia.
- Blood cancer disorders – leukemia or multiple myeloma.
- Any known allergies to Vardenafil.
The common side effects associated with the use of Filitra tablets are listed below.
- Stomach discomfort
- Flushing of face
- Blurry vision
- Chronic cough
Some people may undergo severe side effects listed below. If you experience any of these, seek medical care immediately.
- Hypersensitivity reaction – hives, rashes, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat, or difficulty in breathing.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning sensation in limbs.
- Sudden disturbances with vision or hearing.
- Priapism or a painful erection that stays for more than 4 hours.
- Chest pain during or after sexual activity.
Interactions With Other Drugs
The efficiency of Filitra tablets or the intensity of the side effects may worsen when consumed with certain medications and other household products. Discuss with your doctor about the medications – both prescription and non-prescription, that you are using to prevent any health impacts due to drug interactions.
Interaction with Alcohol
As Vardenafil works similarly to alcohol to dilate the blood vessels, it is advisable to avoid their use together. The combination drastically reduces blood pressure.
Interaction with Grapefruit
The use of grapefruit or its juice with Filitra tablets results in raising the levels of Vardenafil in the bloodstream. Excess levels increase the odds of having side effects.
Store the pills at room temperature and retain them in their original packaging.
- Ensure that the medication is stored away from the source of high temperature and moisture.
- These pills should be stored away from the reach of kids.
- Expired tablets should not be consumed. Dispose of them properly as per the guidelines of the provincial waste collection department.